Subject: [vanativeplantsociety] Stream Buffer Zone revision - read more and comment
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of S Anderson
To: [email-masked]

The Environmental Protection Agency is on the verge of approving a
proposal that would allow coal-mining companies to dump mining waste
directly into flowing streams, filling in the streams entirely and
destroying all the life in them. Since 1983 the Stream Buffer Zone
rule has prohibited mining within 100 feet of flowing streams, but now
the Bush administration and the Office of Surface Mining are trying to
push through an under-the-table, last-minute effort to remove this
protection. If the EPA approves the repeal, it will be perfectly legal
for coal companies to blow off the top of a mountain, then dump the
waste straight into streams, killing the rare salamanders, fish, and
other species that live in Appalachian waterways. EPA Administrator
Johnson could make the decision at any moment, so time is critical.
Please take a minute to tell the EPA not to approve the Stream Buffer
Zone revision, and pass this alert along to as many of your friends as
possible.

Visit
http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/2167/t/5243/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=26129
to take action.